- combine terms using "AND" to make your search more specific
- search as a phrase by putting quotation marks around your search terms. The results will find only items that include your terms next to each other, and in the order you typed them.
- add a truncation symbol to the stem of a word to find variant endings.
- search for a specific ethnic or cultural group. example:
- consider related terms and combine them to describe your topic. examples:
Books about a broader topic (example: cancer), may have chapters or sections regarding cultural diversity. Take advantage of the table of contents and the index to find them.
Here is a partial list of books the Madison College Libraries hold in print. Search the Library catalog to find more:
Partial list of Electronic books (ebooks)
Hint: Don't forget that the table of contents and the index can help you find where your specific topic is located, in a particular ebook.
"A field of nursing, founded by Madeleine Leininger, in which the nurse transcends ethnocentricity and practices nursing in other cultural environments. Because current nursing process and theory are not culturally bound and the needs of each person are considered individually, transcultural nursing is a part of all nursing practice."
Transcultural nursing. (2009). In Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, & Health Professions. Retrieved from http://www.credoreference.com/entry/ehsmosbymed/transcultural_nursing
Using the keywords suggested in the "Search Tips" section of this guide, search the Madison College Libraries' databases to find many articles on transcultural nursing.
Or browse a few of the journals indexed in our databases below: