Madison College Libraries
CODE OF BEHAVIOR
The library collections, services and study spaces are an important part of the learning environment at Madison College. It is essential that library users respect the rights and privacy of others while in the library. Disruptive or unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated and may result in patrons being asked to leave the library. Patrons may also be subject to other action in accordance with College policies and/or state and federal law. The library staff reserves the right to determine the appropriateness of any behavior. As part of the College’s Student Code of Conduct, all students “have the right to experience a high quality learning environment, free from disruptions or distractions.”
We ask our users to immediately report any inappropriate behavior to the library staff. Staff will address the concerns immediately and call Madison College Public Safety or the Madison Police Department, as needed.
Library users engaging in any of the following behaviors are in violation of the Madison College Libraries Code of Behavior:
- Talking on cell phones. All mobile devices must be silenced prior to entering the library. Calls should be taken outside of the library.
- Using headphones at a volume that is audible or disruptive to others.
- Having food or uncovered beverages when using library computers and/or equipment.
- Conversing loudly and/or using offensive, threatening, harassing or abusive language and/or gestures.
- Congregating in the library for discussion unrelated to school work and/or being disruptive to others. Groups of 5 or more are encouraged to reserve a Group Study Room or go to a more appropriate location on campus.
- Physically or verbally abusing library users or staff.
- Violating the Student Computer Systems Guidelines
- Using tobacco products, alcohol, e-cigarettes or illegal drugs in the library.
- Damaging, defacing, or misusing library material and/or property.
- Stealing library material and/or property. [Wisconsin State Statutes 943.61(2)]
- Leaving behind messes that require cleaning and/or are deemed unsanitary or unsafe
- Leaving children under the age of 16 unaccompanied. The library accepts no liability or responsibility for the safety of unaccompanied children.
- Abusing printing and/or scanning privileges.
- Performing lewd or sexual acts in the library.
- Entering the library without proper attire (shirt, shoes, etc.).
- Failing to present appropriate ID when requested by staff.
- Knowingly giving out false or inaccurate information.
- Distributing literature, pictures, etc. within the library without permission.
- Demonstrating any behavior in violation of the Student Code of Conduct or of State or Federal law.
- Exhibiting any other behavior deemed inappropriate by library staff.
- Patrons or patron groups found to be in violation of these rules will be given a warning and offered the choice of immediately discontinuing the behavior in question or voluntarily leaving the library.
- In the event that a patron refuses to either discontinue the behavior or leave the library, Madison College Public Safety will be contacted, and the patron will be identified and removed from the library.
- Failure to either comply with the library code of behavior or leave the library may also result in suspension of library privileges and expulsion from the library.
- Should a patron continue to exhibit inappropriate behavior on subsequent visits, he/she will be referred to library administration and/or Madison College conflict management staff for follow-up.
- When necessary, 911 will be called.